Saturday, November 20, 2004

Why Is It Okay To Litter At The Movies?

I just got back from seeing a matinee of the new SpongeBob SquarePants movie with the wife the kiddies and two more that we borrowed for the afternoon. First off, the movie is really not very good. I was hoping it would be because the TV show is usually something both the kiddies and I can enjoy, but this time it was them being entertained and me being really bored. It wasn't quite as bad as when I took them to see that awful Dudley Do-right movie a few years back; I nearly died of boredom during that film.

Anyway, I couldn't help noticing at the end, the atrocious amount of litter left behind by everyone. It's not that I'm not used to seeing what a bunch of lazy pigs the movie goers in my town are. There's always litter left in the theater at the end of a movie, but today's display of wanton disregard for any attempt by my fellow citizens to clean up after themselves was some kind of record. They really outdid themselves today.

Seriously, how hard would it be for them to keep track of their popcorn buckets, half gallon cups of carbonated, artificially flavored sugar water, cheese pizza boxes, or hot dog trays and carry them to the exit when they leave? Isn't it bad enough that we're helping to put all that mostly non-recyclable waste in our landfills, but then they've got to show just how much they don't care by being such thoughtless wonks that they feel entitled to just leave it on the floor and walk out like they didn't put it there. I saw a mini army of five theater employees cleaning up the cess pool my fellow Salt Lakers had managed to create in the 90 minutes that SpongeBob and Patrick had attempted (but failed) to entertain me? If people can't pick up after themselves in a movie theater, how am I supposed to not believe that I live amongst a bunch of spoiled and pampered slobs? I wonder if it's this way everywhere? Is this going on all over the U.S., or is this just a Utah thing? Is this same behavior displayed by movie patrons in Canada, the European Union, or anywhere else in the world?

No comments: