Friday, December 24, 2004

Take A Real Pledge

The ACLU is asking people to take a pledge to refuse to surrender their freedoms:

http://www.aclu.org/refusetosurrender

They've been doing this for a while now and they have close to 70,000 pledgers. I just took the pledge. I'd been thinking about it for about 2 months now and I finally did it this evening. It was easy.

I don't know why I waited to take this pledge and whether or not the pledge makes any difference, but I did it anyway and I think you should too. If anything, it helps the ACLU keep their mailing lists up to date. So, even if you don't donate anything to them, they can still make a little bit of money off of you by selling your email address to the Sierra Club, Americans United for Seperation of Church and State, the DNC, and the Girl Scouts. Also, I think it helps the Dept. of Homeland Security identify and classify you as a potential subversive just a little bit more quickly. And really, doesn't it make life just a bit more exciting to know that somewhere, someone besides you also knows when your library books are due and which ones you checked out? :-)

No comments: