Saturday, January 22, 2005

Why Does Anyone Even Put Up With MS Windows?

I'm sitting here, working on a friend's computer. I worked on this computer about a year ago. At the time, they were infected with some viruses. We were able to get the viruses removed, install MS Windows security updates, put on a current antivirus system and firewall and basically get their system to operate somewhat stably again.

Here it is, a year later, and they've let their subscription for new virus definitions lapse. They have another virus, the firewall they installed is completely intrusive and pops up windows asking about every little thing that happens, and so I'm attempting to remove this new virus as well as installing adware/spyware removal tools. I've already wasted about 2 hours of my life trying to nurse another sick Windows PC back to health.

Why do people put up with this? I've never understood it. I've been using Macs in my personal life and working with PCs since 1992 or 1993. In all that time, I've never been able to figure out why most people choose to buy a computer running a Microsoft OS. Microsoft's operating systems have sucked since then and they never seem to get any better. And, the only reason that I can see that most people do this, is that they want to be like the majority of people.

There's this great quote that is attributed to Mark Twain, that says, "When you find yourself in agreement with the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

There's a lot of wisdom in that statement. Notice that Twain isn't necessarily saying that the majority is always wrong, he's saying that the majority is almost always wrong. Sadly, the majority is definitely wrong when it comes the blind adherence to buying computers that run Microsoft Windows.

No comments: